People of all ages seek care from a speech-language pathologist (also called a speech therapist) when they have problems communicating or swallowing. These problems may have existed from birth or resulted from an illness, accident or disease. These issues may impact a person’s self-esteem, motivation, socialization, memory, problem solving, and quality of life.
Diagnostic services are provided by a licensed speech language pathologist to determine the nature and extent of difficulty for communication, swallowing and cognitive problems. Medical follow-up, treatment or compensation strategies to overcome problems are then determined.
Speech Therapy can help in the following areas:
- Swallowing disorders (difficulty passing food or liquid from the mouth to the stomach)
- Speech disorders (difficulty producing speech sounds correctly)
- Language disorders (difficulty understanding language or expressing thoughts)
- Cognitive communication disorders (difficulty with attention, memory, reasoning, judgment or problem solving)
- Augmentative/alternative communication (other means of communication such as gestures, picture or word boards)
- Voice disorders (abnormal pitch, loudness or quality of voice)
Speech Therapy services are provided through Kincart Physical Therapy Services at Davis County Hospital. To schedule an appointment, please call 641-664-7086.